Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mirror Mirror On the Wall......

One thing I love to collect are old mirrors. My favorite are those with simple frames & worn silvering. I love to think about who gazed into them & how long ago it may have been. Who were these people? What were their lives like? Were they beautiful? Were they hard-working? Were they happy? So many questions come to mind as I admire my simple collection.

I don't have a photo to show.... it is very difficult to take a picture of a mirror. The ones in my collection have all been very inexpensively purchased.... some even given to me so the previous owner didn't have to throw them away. My very favorite is one from my Mother and Father-In-Law. It is a cut tombstone shape with some etching along the top. There are holes in the glass for hanging... maybe it was a bathroom vanity mirror. The silvering is almost half gone from it. They found it leaning up against the wall of an old shed when they moved into their home years ago. If I had to put an age on it, I would probably say it was from the 1920s. It is hanging proudly above our bathtub. Really it is too small for the area in which it is hung..... but I feel it makes a statement there. Hanging there it represents my thoughts of how I feel about these olde, forgotten items.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love old mirrors too!! If they are hanging..take them from a side view..
    that helps keep the glare off..
    I hope to see some of them.
    smiles, Deena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, I collect old mirrors too. I love them and find it very hard to pass one up at a junk shop.

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...