Sunday, February 10, 2008

~*Auction Treasure Finds*~

Oh my gosh! One of the things I enjoy most is spending the day at a farm auction! Yesterday I had the pleasure of doing just that! It was a great time spent with family & bidding! Two of my beautiful Sisters-in-law, one Brother-in-law, my kind-hearted Mother & Father-in-law, and my ANGEL of a Son went & had a BLAST! (YA! A good number of my family was there!) LOL I was really worried about taking my 5 yr old & thought he would be bored out-of-his-mind.... but he had just as much fun (if not more!) than the rest of us. He is ready to go again too! Goodie Goodie!

Here are some of my treasures! I am not great at knowing what an antique or collectible is worth 'dollarwise', but I think I did pretty good & love the pieces I was lucky enough to win!

This Crazy Quilt was my most favorite win of the day. The auctioneer threw it on the table with two ugly hat boxes (my opinion anyway) & called it a 'throw'. He did the bidding as your pick. There were a couple others bidding against me & it was clear that they too wanted the 'throw'..... but in the end I was the winner at $25.00! (The hat boxes sold afterwards for about $5 each..... I didn't pay too much attention to them though.) Now, this treasure is old & decaying badly..... but it is totally hand pieced & stitched with vintage silks and velvets. It measures 66 by 80 inches. I don't know yet what I am going to do with it.... but was happy I could SAVE it & give it a new home. Maybe it will be displayed laying across my old, white iron bed in the spare room.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is the backside of the quilt (or quilt top)..... it is made of the sweetest, early print blue calicos....

Photobucket

Some of you may remember me telling you about the Hoosier cabinet I bought from my Mother-in-Law. I won a vintage, ribbed Hoosier Tea jar yesterday too.

Photobucket

My Brother-in-Law & I both had our eyes on this wooden box. I love the old advertising on the sides. In the end, he let me have it...

Photobucket

Inside the box is an old walnut cracker. We have about 6 walnut trees here & have discovered that those nuts are really hard to crack without this handy tool!

All in all.... it was a great day! Thanks for letting me share my new treasures.

Many smiles to ya,
Betty

5 comments:

  1. Seems like you did just fine at the auction! What a wonderful day with your family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool findings!!
    Be sure to stop by my blog for my give-away!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great finds! I love the hand stitching on that quilt. Sounds like you had fun too, what a great day!

    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds. Everything is just beautiful. Sounds like you had a fun and prosperous day.

    ~Doreen

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...