Thursday, June 2, 2011

~*Yes, I'm Still Stitching*~

Hello Dear Friends! Yes, I am still stitching... working on my 'special something' and also on my Great~Grandma inspired piece...

This is the 'special something' piece...

Would you like me to tell you more?

Well... This is the first sampler in a SERIES by ~*primitivebettys*~!

Recently, I had the opportunity to visit Victor Minor, a refurbished one~room school house that once operated in Rossville, Kansas. Rossville is where my Mom, Dad, and Aunts grew up. They didn't go to this school... but the school house and the town have a special place in my heart because of the family connections. Plus, I started my school years in Rossville too. Kindergarten, first, and half of second grade... I attended Rossville Elementary. My kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Crumbaker. I have many fond memories of her and my first year of school... you will notice this in the first sampler... and the ones to follow.

Doing research on the town and the school house... and letting my mind wonder & add some fiction... I have chosen to design a SERIES of samplers inspired by Victor Minor. During my reading, I found that Rossville was actually Edna, Kansas when the school was built... the name was changed a few years later after William Ross moved in and helped the town grow with economic and growth leadership. The school was constructed in 1863... if my research is correct. (On the tour of the school, they said it was 1887... but either year was a long time ago. I picked 1863 for my historical fictional series.)

So... I am stitching and trying to finish the first sampler. This will be a larger finish than I have done in the past... but I think you will like it. It is truly from the heart! The first sampler is one stitched by the first teacher of Victor Minor in 1863... Sarah Crumbaker. (remember I am adding a little of my own fiction to some real history... artist's license at work here)

Everywhere I go... I have my bag of fibers and unfinished samplers... taking them to tae kwon do and ball practice... with hopes of finishing them soon to share.

Here is how my Great~Grandma sampler is... unfinished... there is a lot to do on this one!


Wishing you all warm smiles... and happy stitching...
Betty

9 comments:

  1. Hi,Betty...I actually went to a one-room schoolhouse in Chicopee,MA it was called The Little Red Schoolhouse. Boy, what a coincidence when I read your post. Of course, I love samplers and I'm excited that you are starting a series. I am just starting to stitch again after many years,I started my first when I was attending that school at 7 years old. My parents bought me the little kit that Old Sturbridge Village offered at the time. I just found it in a trunk of old linens that I packed years ago. I never finished the last two stitches and didn't sign it! Do you think I should put the original date next to my name (1963) or when I actually finish it? Thanks and I'm looking forward to your series. Are you doing finished pieces only or are you planning on selling the charts?
    Warm Regards,
    Susan B., Western MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see your new sampler. It sounds like a series I would love to do. Thank you for all your beautiful designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both samplers are truly beautiful Betty!! Can't wait to see the "finishes"! I love old one-room schools - we have one in our area that just fascinates me. (And, I actually attended a 2-room school my first 2 years of school...but there was no "charm" involved!) Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty ~
    Both your samplers are lovely!
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, and especially nice with the blending of family and personal connections. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new story adventure. You are so clever with your designing. Would love to hear more, exspecially about Miss Crumbaker. Love that name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am loving the looks of both pieces, so far! Lots of work involved in these....so I will wait as patiently as possible for their release! lol! Thanks for the history behind the samplers... it's all coming together wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Betty, you are definitely going to keep me stitching on linen now. I can't wait to see the first sampler. I will be in line to buy it!!!! Love the history lessons too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful story behind your stitching! I particularly love that its set in kansas-- I'm from Oklahoma and I too love the look of old stitching and folk art :) nice to see a kindred spirit from the prairie :)

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...