Thursday, May 12, 2011

~*The Ol' Crow Says*~



I am an old fashioned, primitive gardener.

That is the only thing that it could be called... in my head I have visions of grandeur, but really no plan to get there. I envy those that can plot out & plan a garden ~ flower or vegetable. My Mom plans the most wonderful flower gardens. Rows of this and spots of that ~ each planted in the perfect location. Thankfully my Mom planned and planted the garden in the front of our home. It looks nice and I do love it. After three years, it is filling in nicely and I have been able to keep the weeds under control.



The latest issue of A Simple Life arrived in my mailbox yesterday and it is filled with glorious gardens.

My gardens though... are just a mish~mash of all... including some clover, crabgrass, and dandelions. Yes, I do try to weed that stuff out, but what is planted there is just 'thrown' in. These gardens are my old fashioned, primitive gardens... full of flowers here when we moved in, some I've purchased, started from seed, or was shared from a friend's garden. I am the kind of gardener that just digs up the dig and puts the plant it. I don't plan much at all. Yes, I do try to put the taller plants towards the back and the shade loving plants in the shade with the sun lovers in the sun, but honestly this does not always happen.

But... looking here and there you can see these right now...












These lavender, old fashioned iris are my favorite! To me, they smell like grape Kool-Aid and bring back childhood memories of summer fun.




These are just the blooms for today. There will be lots and lots more soon. I spent the day in the greenhouse yesterday and started yet more seeds. So... I'll share more with you soon.

Wishing you all warm smiles...

Betty

10 comments:

  1. Love your flowers, my peonies are in bloom also, always a treat when they bloom. Well I try to plan, but I garden like you do, a lot of trial and error type gardening, but I love it, my favorite thing to do this time of the year, don't want to come in. Can't wait to see more of your garden. Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betty... how pretty, love the peonies and iris!

    Blessings,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS blooms, Betty! Planned or unplanned, "old-fashioned," "primitive - whatever you call it, you're obviously doing a lot right!! They're beautiful - truly beautiful! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty I love your gardens and flowers. My favorite types of gardens are the unplanned kind!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, has it been 3 years since your mom helped plant your garden?! I remember you posting about that. My mom has the knack, too! I love informal, primitive gardens with hidden surprises! They are the best! Enjoy your blooms!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful flower gardens you have. The one your Mom helped you with is really filling in so nice. I'm the "primitive" gardener myself just dig a hole and there she goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peonies, poppies, and irises...could it get any better? You seem to have a good garden sense. Gardens evolve and change and...grow...duh! ;-) Sometimes the anticipation is better than the blooms!
    Happy digging!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers. I don't have many left, so need to redo the soil in my beds and buy new flowers, but too many things to do lately, flowers are last on the list.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful flowers, I could actually smell them as I looked at them. I'm on my way this morning to pick some up for the front flower bed and impatients for the back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your irises are beautiful! I wish I had some here. Where did you find your yard crow??

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...