Friday, July 9, 2010

~*Friday Finishes From the Dye Pots*~

Hello Dear Friends! There aren't any ~*Friday Finishes*~ as far as stitches to share with you... yes, I know I have a pattern to share, but it is still in need of some computer work & photography before that can be done ~ it will be shared SOON though. Anyway... while trying to manage around the house & keep an eye on a very active almost 8 year old... and sometimes a few 8 year old friends... I've been busy with the dye pots.

The latest copy of the Wool Street Journal arrived in the mail the other day. Reading through the wonderful issue immediately inspired me to get the dye pots out & on the stove. Bonnie Smith shared instructions for tea dyeing wool with very clear direction. I just HAD to do it!

This is my tea~dyed wool...


These two pieces were in the pot together with 6 large tea bags. They must be two different chunks of fabric because one dyed a whole lot darker than the other. I'm really diggin' them both though!

And... it seems I couldn't just stop there... I dyed all this too...


Some came out the way I wanted... and some not... but my results all together make me pretty happy. Now can you guess what I'm thinkin' I want to do now?

Wishing you all warm smiles...

Betty

12 comments:

  1. Let me see.... you're thinking you want to hook a beautiful rug with all that beautiful wool? :-) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wool looks yummy! I know it is hot hot hot here in Michigan but my mind is all about wool. I like all your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I'm impressed. Been so hot here that wool seems to be the last thing on my mind :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! Look at all that delicious wool!

    I lol'ed at the title "Wool Street Journal"--hyuk-yuk! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought about tea dyeing wool. I've experimented a few times with overdyeing some thrift shop wool, though. I've also had some I liked, and some results that I didn't like too much. Best part, you can always put it back into the pot and dye it again!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow gorgeous wool - I need/want to dye but even with AC it's TOO HOT!

    So have you picked up that hook yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that the way it goes with dyeing wool. Some comes out great some not. Looks beautiful!!
    I turned off our central air this morning, supposed to be nice here. OH!! I hate to see our electric bill!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betty ~
    Your wool came out great!
    Happy hooking :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did I miss something? Whatcha gonna do with the dyed wool.
    Did yoiu use RIT on the other wool that wasn't tea dyed?

    How fun for you.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the tea-dyed wool ~ I have some light reclaimed wool from thrift stores that could use a bath in tea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous wools and shades. I need to do some dying, but too lazy lately;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love both shades, they should work great together! What will you be using them for?

    I hadn't thought about throwing some tea bags in too. Wonder how that would work with a formula as well?

    Guessing you might want to jump into a pool after stirring a dye pot! Jo

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...