Wednesday, September 8, 2010

~*Re~Start!*~

Oops! My experiment needed to be re~started! What I didn't keep in mind when working at first was the difference with loop height and yarn thickness. The design had a sheep standing behind a picket fence. When I went to punch the fence, the sheep looked more like he had fallen over on the fence and was smashing the pickets. Oops! I was using DMC to punch the fence with my Cameo needle set on a '3'. It just wasn't working. Another thing I noticed, was that my punching was 'packed'... something I've always struggled with. I pulled out all my loops and was going to rework the design on the same piece of Weaver's, but was worried the Oxford needle (being a much thicker needle) had stressed the cloth too much to continue. Sorry, I didn't get a picture taken of my failure.

Trying to learn from my mistakes, I re~drew and slightly re~designed my doodle... and began punching again with the wool yarn. I'm trying to keep my punches and rows more even now too...

my re~start... with one skein yarn punched...


I was asked about the yarn. It is some that I purchased quite some time ago in a 'lot' auction off Ebay. I'm not sure where it can be found 'new'... or what the cost would be. The label is marked Laine Colbert DMC. It is a 100% Virgin Wool.


Ok... back to punching. I hope to share another photo... of a finished piece!... soon.

Wishing you all warm smiles,

Betty

4 comments:

  1. How frustrating...but I bet you have it this time! Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty~ I've got a #14 also but haven't given it a try yet. With the #10 oxford I use monk's cloth and wool yarn from Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. Sometimes I overdye it similar to how I do the dmc floss. Going to give the #14 a try and see how it does. I still prefer the dmc floss for NP and wool strips for hooking but every once in awhile I like to try the oxford again.


    Can't wait to see what you've come up with bet it's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I haven't used oxford punchneedle yet but am anxious to try it.

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...