Thursday, May 24, 2012

~*Making a Crafty Re~Visit*~

Hello Dear Friends!  There are more times than I would like to admit... where I get inspired/side~tracked/kidnapped/diverted or just plain lost in my creative muse.  I know that I have deadlines and 'need to do' items... but then I get bitten by the desire to pick up another medium.  Happen to you?

Well, here is the latest diversion... a bowl of cotton fabric ~ ripped into one inch wide strips...    
A big ol' skein of cotton yarn...
and my locker hook.
Shortly before Tony and I were married... he bought me a locker hooking kit from a local gift shop.  (He has always encouraged me to follow my creative dreams!)  At the time, I didn't know anything about rug hooking... with cotton or wool.  I had always had a fondness for hooked rugs... but was clueless about the process.  That gift was the re~start of my crafty life!  You see, years ago, I did sew dolls and other 'country crafty' things... and sold them at local craft shows.  Years before that, I studied various art forms in high school and college.  I have always felt a need to create something... some way or another.

I made a few locker hooked items... and purchased this book too... which I highly recommend if you are interested in learning this form of rug hooking.
Well, just as my creative wants sway from one thing to another... my locker hook was set aside and has been untouched for a few years.  However, I had the urge to pick it back up yesterday... and have started this farmhouse table rug...(you can see a close~up of it in the picture above with my hook)...

I'm using scraps of brights that were mostly from re~claimed items of clothing, sheets, or curtains.  I'm thrilled with the progress... and have lots more hooked now than when I took the picture.  It is a fairly speedy form of hooking...
My sweet SIL, Robin, is partly responsible for this recent craft diversion.  This beautiful red, white, and blue mat was made by her and gifted to me.  She has made several other mats in days of late.  Some have also been gifts, but some are for sale in our booth too... and are selling rather well.

I'm not sure what the plans are for the table rug I'm making just yet... but I'll keep you posted.

Wishing you warm smiles...

Betty

15 comments:

  1. Blogger is giving me fits....lol..anyways, this looks like a great way I could make use of the tons of calicos and homespuns I have...your rug is looking great !!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a locker hook but have never used it. Thought it might be easier than rug hooking with wool strips. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i took a class a few years back on locker hooking. now where did i put it?.. just what i need, another project! i do love your table mat you are working on. im sure it wont be long and it will be done! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well thanks a lot Betty! Just what I need ... another craft to tempt me! Of course I went immediately to YouTube & found several locker hooking videos there. Very informative! I like the idea of being able to use up my fabric stash. I have way too much fabric! Of course I am now also thinking about restarting a toothbrush rug I wanted to work on years ago but this locker hooking is so much easier! Sigh! You have my pain on your hands ... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely..keep on crafting! Take care, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Betty!...I just recently started locker hooking..I too wish I had time to fit it all in..I have 2 pieces hooked that I need to sew a wool backing on. I want to try some other fabrics, perhaps flannels. Enjoy!. Your table mat looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very interesting. I tried locker hooking once using roving but wasn't happy with it. I may have to give it another chance.
    Happy Hooking!
    Sherrie Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried locker hooking... I think I'll have to look into it because your table mat is very pretty. Plus being a quilter means I have lots of cotton fabric scraps that need to be used up. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betty,
    I can see why you are having fun with locker hooking! It looks wonderful! I have always wanted to try it. At the price of wool now will maybe have to give it some serious thought! Can't wait to see more of it!!
    Hugs!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your locker hooking is beautiful. I had a locker hook and I just couldn't get the hang of it. Not sure if I still have it. Yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sooooo glad you posted about this. I have been re-organizing my faric stash like crazy...whipping up monster dolls and hobo bags...and having way too much fabric. You have given me an "AHA" moment. I also have the hook, the kit, the book...(somewhere) and yes I also have the toothbrush rug materials....great projects be working on outdoors....Thanks! for a great post, and the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love locker hooking; what a great way to use up stash. Karmen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Betty, Thanks for posting pictures of your locker hooking! I can't believe that I actually "taught" a group of people I work with how to locker hook but I've never made a rug or mat ever! LOL! I do, however, have my canvas cut for a table I'd like to put it on. Now all I have to do is cut my fabric into the strips and I'll be good to go...just need to find the time between all my other projects to do it! Work interferes with my crafting! LOL!

    Char

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...