Sunday, August 24, 2014

~*Oxford Punching*~

Hello Dear Friends!

I hope you are having a great weekend!

I've been crafting as much as possible between family time and chores.  This weekend I've been keeping my Oxford Punch popping!  This is one of the mediums I will be demonstrating at two events in just a few months... I posted about them in the previous post.

With Oxford Punching, I typically don't just make 'rugs'.  This art form is a method of rug making, but I personally like it more for adding to other pieces.  Here are a few thrift store pieces as they were before...
 I added some paint to them... and then began playing with the needle and yarn...
 Here are the finished pieces...
 The JOL is made from acrylic, bulky weight yarns.  I love the variegated orange~ish color!
 Close up...
 The snowman is mounted in a very shallow bowl.  I used 100%, rug weight wool yarn for him.  Someone could use him to set out a few peppermint candies around Christmas.  He will share with anyone.  Look at that grin!
 With those two pieces finished... and my muse wanting to keep working with my Oxford Punch... I picked out a few more boxes and thrift store goodies to bring new life too...
 And have kept punching...
 The Oxford Punch I am using is my Amy Oxford #10 punch.  My SIL Robin and I went to Ginger's house in June for a rug camp to learn how to use it.  We had an amazing teacher!  Frank Beilec!  If you ever get a chance to take a class with him... DO IT!

Today we had a small birthday party for my sweet kiddo.  I can hardly believe he will be 12 in just a few days!  Many family members came for lunch and goodies.  Happy Birthday Trinity!  Mom loves you!  (Yes, I do think he could use a haircut... but he doesn't.)  *grin*
Wishing you all warm smiles...

Betty

9 comments:

  1. Great finishes. One of these days I must try my Oxford. I bought in probably 8 years ago!
    Happy, happy birthday to Trinity.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how those came out, fun ideas.
    I was thinking of trying some chair pads and using my wool yarn. I figure i can use my large hoop, which should be just the right size.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all. I need to learn to do this. Would love to make chair seat or large pillows. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betty, This is Sandra again. May I ask you what size needle you used for your projects?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oxford punch needle is on my list of things I want to try one day. I like your pieces a lot.

    Saundra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought an Oxford punch but cannot locate the Rug yarn. Do you have a place where you purchase? Do you use regular worsted weight for your projects? I want to make some pillows. My punch would accommodate the 1/4" cut rug strips. Some say to just double the yarn in the needle. I have had it for a few weeks, but haven't tried it yet. I prefer to use 100% wool rather than the man-made fibers.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way...I really like your blog. Yo are so creative. And, very generous with sharing yor talent with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, thank you! Any yarns will work & like you said, they can be doubled. I'll do a post & mark some places where the wool yarn can be found. I'll try to post it this weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try: halcyonyarn.com, they have a catalogue as well.

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...