Friday, July 7, 2017

~*Spin Me Round and Round and Round*~

Hello Dear Friends!

Thank you for the overwhelming response to my previous post.  Your kind words and comments have been so touching.  My goats have already brought so much joy to my family.  I'm glad their sweet faces have brightened your day too!  I hope you do make some lovely things with the freebie.  Remember, share those finishes!

Yesterday, I mentioned the thoughts, hopes, and dreams of spinning my own yarn.  When the goats are sheared, they will provide me with lots of glorious mohair.  It will be used for spinning.  My goal... thick, bulky rug yarn with lots of variation and texture!

Well, it has been YEARS since I have tried to spin.  In fact, it was only briefly (VERY BRIEFLY!)... way back in high school.  My fiber teacher was the famous Jean Bass.  She was super talented and kind.  She had so much information to teach and was so willing to share her knowledge.  If only I hadn't been such a kid at the time ~ not fully ready to listen and learn.  If only I could go back in time and have her as a teacher again!  She was my weaving teacher for two years.  She taught me how to use a frame loom, floor loom, how to felt, how to dye, and touched on how to spin with a drop spindle.  For the hour long class each day, I would dive into these activities, but only during school.  Rarely would any of these fun things take place outside of that classroom.  Looking back, it makes me sad that I missed out on all the knowledge Mrs. Bass was trying to share with me.

All these years later, I'm wanting to try again.  In fact now, being older, it is something that I really want to try to perfect... or at least learn enough to be decent at it.

Beginning my venture of spinning... I purchased this book and a top whorl drop spindle online.  I've also watched many videos on YouTube.


This bundle of roving was something that has been around my craft room for years.  It might be wool.  It feels like it anyway.  So, time to try.

My first attempt has not been very successful...

Over~twisted!  Comes un~spun!  Breaks apart!  Frustrating...

BUT!

I will not give up!!!

Wishing you warm smiles...

Betty

6 comments:

  1. I love roving and use it for needle felting, I may have some goat in my stash. I cannot imagine spinning by hand, I have no patience for that.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rug that's under the roving. Beautiful colors. I just started following you, thanks to Lori Brechlin. I too love goats and look forward to your posts about them and your projects. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get it figured out! I know nothing about spinning. But I do love to look at and fondle fibers. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the pattern! Good luck with your spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay with it, Betty! That is a GREAT book and the best advice Abby gives, I think, is to spin 10 minutes a day. It will all kick in, believe me. Nice, smooth fiber helps, too...

    ReplyDelete

What friends have said...